The botanical laboratory carry out studies on plant systemics, taxonomy, flora and distribution. The laboratory stores the second largest plant herbarium collection in Latvia. The herbarium contains more than 109 200 herbarium sheets: 83 000 herbarium leaves, 1600 bare-tailed herbarium leaves, 21 000 units of mushrooms and lichen herbarbarium, 3000 suction plants and approximately 600 macrophyte herbarium leaves.
Since 2007, herbarium collection of botanical laboratory has been included in the electronic herbarium database of the New York Botanical Garden. (http://sweetgum.nybg.org/science/ih/herbarium_list.php?NamOrganisationAcronym=DAU). In 2018 an electronic herbarium database (db.biology.lv) was created, which records approximately 55 000 herbarias.
In 2019, the herbarium of Daugavpils University’s Department of Biosystematics was included in the international network GBIF—the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (https://www.gbif.org/dataset/488416a3-50 f 1-43 a 0-1 ce-daf1cdbf84dd), which currently records 54918 herbarium sheets.
The main research topics of the Botanical Laboratory:
– Vascular plant flora, distribution, taxonomy and biodiversity protection in the region of Eastern Baltic.
– Latvian vascular plant flora. Studies of the taxonomically ambiguous groups (Alchemilla, Corispermum, Epilobium, Euphrasia, Oenothera, Pilosella, Potentilla, Ranunculus, Rosa, Viola).
– Plant flora, distribution of the Daugava basin.
– Latvian rare and protected plants, taxonomy of species, identification and mapping of deposits.
– Studies of natural habitats of Latvia.
– Studies of invasive flora in Latvia. Mapping of invasive vascular plant species.
– Studies of anthropogenic and urban flora in Latvia.
– Dendrological studies. Willow (Salix), Malole (Tilia) maple (Acer) rose (Rosa), etc. studies of genera cultivated taxon in Eastern Europe.
– Invasive dendroflora in Latvia.
– Inventory of critical dendrological taxon in Latvia.