The zoological laboratory perform studies on systematics, morphology, fauna and ecology of molluscs (Mollusca), as well as on the biology and ecology of small pelleted rodents (Rodentia). The laboratory organizes expeditions in Latvia and abroad. A mollusc collection is being developed in the laboratory.
The main research topics of the Zoological Laboratory:
– Fauna, distribution and biodiversity protection of the mollusc (Mollusca) in Baltic region.
– Mollusc morphology studies.
– Studies of mollusc parasitofauna.
– Biology and ecology of specially protected mollusc species.
– Factors influencing malacocenosis and species diversity.
– The biology and ecology of dormouse (Myoxidae).
– Studies of small rodent parasitofauna.