Laboratory of Botany
The Laboratory of Botany carries out studies on plant systematics, taxonomy, flora and distribution. The laboratory stores the third largest plant herbarium collection in Latvia. The herbarium contains more than 112 000 herbarium sheets – 85 100 vascular plant herbarium sheets, 2200 mosses herbarium sheets, 21 000 units of phytopatogenic fungi, and 3200 lichen herbarium sheets and approximately 600 macrophytes herbarium sheets.
The Herbarium Collection of the Laboratory of Botany has been included in the New York Botanical Garden’s electronic herbarium database since 2007.
In 2018, an electronic herbarium database (db.biology.lv) was created, which currently contains about 60,000 herbarium records.
In 2019, the herbarium of the Department of Biosystematics of Daugavpils University was included in the international network GBIF — the Global Biodiversity Information Facility, which currently contains 54,918 herbarium records.
The Laboratory of Botany is located in the Study and Research Center “Ilgas” of Daugavpils University.
The main research topics of the Laboratory of Botany:
- Flora, distribution, taxonomy and biodiversity protection of vascular plants in the Eastern Baltic region
- Latvian vascular plant flora. Studies of the taxonomically indistinct groups (Pilosella, Euphrasia, Alchemilla, Epilobium, Corispermum)
- Flora, distribution of Daugava basin plants
- Latvian rare and protected plants, species taxonomy, site identification and mapping
- Research of Latvian natural biotopes
- Invasive flora research in Latvia. Mapping of invasive vascular plant species
- Research of anthropogenic and urban flora in Latvia
- Dendrological research. Studies of cultivated taxa of willow (Salix), linden (Tilia), maple (Acer) genera in Eastern Europe
- Invasive dendroflora in Latvia
- Inventory of critical dendrological taxa in Latvia